A History of Rugby in Victoria

researched & written by Ron Grainger

RUGBY CHALLENGE CUP 1896

NASH CHALLENGE CUP 1896 VICTORIAN RUGBY UNION

NASH CHALLENGE CUP 1896 VICTORIAN RUGBY UNION

The Nash Challenge Cup was introduced for competition in the mid 1890s, and is known to be played for in the 1895 and ’96 seasons between the rugby clubs of the Victorian Rugby Union.

The Cup was donated by VRU Vice President A.E.Nash, who had arranged for the ‘massive’  silver trophy to be manufactured by Messrs Walker and Hall of Sheffield. When it arrived it was put on display at the office of the President, New Zealander  David Mills, Manager of the Union Steamship Company.

Mills several years later transferred to Sydney but what became of his trophy is unknown and what happened to the Victorian competition uncertain.

What is known is that four years later an attempted revival was underway, an article in the Argus of  7 May 1900 reporting that the Victorian Rugby Club had played their first game of the season the previous Saturday and intended to start a series of matches between regular teams in the coming weeks.

Research & content Ron Grainger

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Advertisements

Information

This entry was posted on October 11, 2014 by in History, RUGBY in VICTORIA.